Random thoughts and bits of life of a coffee loving artist

Friday, September 7, 2012

A common influence... maybe: Denis Peterson


I knew when I started sending out the messages for this one so that I could have some responses to share that I was going out on a limb with this one. Perhaps it's due to the genre I decided to look into, the people I chose to ask, or the fact the artist I chose as a possible influence is someone I know but the answers I received were rather surprising. Not in a negative way, mind you, but this was the first time I actually had the small thought in the back of my mind that perhaps I had offended those who I asked if in some way they were influenced by my friend Denis Peterson.

"Granello di Sabbia" by Denis Peterson
For anyone who is familiar with the hyperrealism movement in art, where the artist portrays the subject matter they're working on with photorealistic quality, may or may not know Denis Peterson by name but might know some of his works. Though he does post some of his works on deviantART in order to show some of his younger watchers what he does along with showing works in progress, he has been shown at the Brooklyn Museum, Whitney Museum of American Art, ButlerInstitute of American Art, Tate Modern, Springville Museum of Art, Cocoran MPA and Max Hutchinson Gallery located in New York. Many of his pieces focus either on daily city life in New York (focusing on city architecture or the homeless population) or some glimpses into African life.

It took quite a bit of time for me to find a handful of artists who I thought perhaps may have been influenced by Denis but was able to choose 5 artists to ask.:

Pondering your work, I was wondering if the artist Denis Peterson (who specializes in photo-realism) influenced your style in any way or not.

"It's time to make up" by tincek-marincek
The account is actually shared by a set of artistic sisters, Valentina & Marina, from Slovenia who specialize in digital art. Though focusing on a fantasy or anime theme, their vibrant work has a surprising amount of detail to the point that some elements are rather realistic. Beautifully executed, their combined talents always is able to draw the viewer in. I was lucky enough to receive from one of the young women about my question. Even though there was a slight language barrier, I could understand her words perfectly.


"Hi... I didn't hear for this artist jet.  When I draw realistic I just draw what I see, or I add fantasy elements by myself. Or I made up character by myself in realistic style..." ~ Valentina Remenar


"Aphelion" by ja5on
An acrylic painter out of Canada, Jason's work is quite memorizing. Glass, cut crystal and reflective surfaces fill his tantilizing pieces and truly portrays the genre of photo-realism when it comes to an inanimate object. Beautifully done, I often go to his gallery to just study his pieces when I need to refresh myself on what to do in my own pieces. His answer was a little surprising to me but in a pleasant way.

"No. But I do know him and have met him in person. My style was already developed before I knew his work though." ~Jason

"Murmur of the Innocents 13" by Gottfried Helnwein
A painter mainly located in Ireland, Mr. Helnwein uses a mixture of oils and acrylics in his large pieces to create eye catching and perhaps sometimes controversial pieces. I had actually stumbled across his gallery perhaps a year or so ago and it never gets dull looking at the massive amount of detail he puts into his pieces. The response I received was perhaps the one I was most unprepared for since it wasn't Mr. Henwein who responded but a member of his studio who answered in his place. It is obviously due to his busy schedule but the fact that not only did his staff respond but gave added sources of information was quite appreciated on my part. 

"No, Helnwein developed his own style in the early 1970s and technique was never really an important subject for him. You will find many good interviews with Helnwein on his youtube channel, that should help answer some of your questions: https://www.youtube.com/user/gottfriedhelnwein 
Regards, Studio Helnwein"

"Silence is thought converging" by 413
Mr. CJ Tanedo is an oil painter who uses a mix of photo-realism and almost abstract imagery in many of his large, highly detailed pieces. A man seemingly to be of little words, the simple titles compliment his paintings perfectly, letting the images speak for themselves instead. At times when I wander his gallery, I sometimes look at a painting half expecting that I would be able to see what he was able to capture on canvas blink or take a breath. He has actually been able to respond recently and I love his response to my simple question.

"Hi. I've seen the works of dennis peterson here in DA and other here on the net, and i really respect his talent and artistic views. Yeah, he could have inspired me in the photo realistic painting world, like Chuck Close and other hyper realists.  Dennis Peterson- if I'm not mistaken, uses acrylic as his medium... I do it in oil paints... before doing photo realism, I was really into impressionism, and expressionism as well... I also like the master brush strokes of the likes of Rembrandt to Odd Nerdrum... somehow I tried to absorb some of their technical processes and apply it on mine... I still apply some of the academian principles of oil painting execution and try very hard to achieve the realistic effects. Thank you for asking  I really appreciate you noticing my art works." ~ CJ Tanedo 


With 413 being able to respond (9/12/2012), I happily went about and added his answer in which leaves only one more artist needing to respond. So I ask my readers for your opinion as to if this gentleman was inspired by Denis Peterson or not. 


"Diego Velazquez" by Benbe



A chalk pastel artist originally out of Spain, RubĂ©n Belloso Adorna skillfully uses the small colored sticks to create large scale highly realistic pieces. Mostly focusing on portraits, he does occasionally do city scenes and the surrounding landscapes he often visits. He doesn't state much on his pieces but I think that his works do the speaking for him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment