Random thoughts and bits of life of a coffee loving artist

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Celestial World Tree – Part 5 (END)

You read the title right! This is the final chapter of the project! As I take you through the last leg of this adventure, let's remember the ups and downs that Celestial World Tree – Part 4 brought. Progress was made and accidents caused by eagerness were overcome with creative solutions. So let us wrap this up, shall we?



All of the Decorations


Even with how well the color pencil covered up the text that was still on the lid, the fact that the indents were still visible was going to bother me until the end of time. I had a plan on how to cover this up at least – Leaves. I ended up ordering some Mulberry Paper Flower Leaves meant for scrap booking. They came in a variety of greens but I picked out a couple of the lightest ones from the batch I received and proceeded to attack them with watercolors. It was a fairly simple process in coloring them, luckily. I went with the colors that I had for the interior panel so there was a natural gradient from green to blue. It took a little bit of time for them to dry, check on if the colors were how I wanted, add if needed then dry again but the end result was one I was happy with. Once dried, I carefully glued them into position on the lid (adding a left over one to the internal panel for a bit of cohesion). Digging around in my eclectic collection of bits and bobs, I also added a couple of shiny trinkets which went well with the entire look.


The tassel that was to be added to the bottom portion of the box was something I was going to need to make myself. As a stepping off point, I ordered a variety pack of various colored tassels. Picking out a couple of the purplish ones to mimic the purple cording that I have in both pieces, I ended up combining them together. I had a holder for them that was originally from a piece of costume jewelry which they fit nicely in. Grabbing my tube of E6000, I securely glued the cluster into their new home and let the hole thing dry a couple of hours. Digging in my collection once again, I chose a beautiful hand made blue glass bead to be part of the top and found a bit of ribbon that would work with making the whole thing uniform. With how small the ribbon I decided to use was, I had to hold it in place with rather thin sewing pins until the adhesive dried.




Final Assembly


For those who have been here since the very beginning and have been paying attention, you
may have noticed that the lid in the rough draft concept and through most of the project up to this point had an eye-hook on top of a tassel which would have acted as a hanger for when
the lid was to be displayed separately. Well! I decided in the end that it was completely impractical. The tassel didn't go in the direction I wanted and instead flopped right in front which covered most of the design. So off the hook went. Once again I went through my supplies and found another picture hanging hook which I ended up gluing into position on the back of the lid. Doing a couple of test fittings, I was happy that the lid could still be slid into position without interference.


With that little issue solved, it was time to attach the large tassel I had put together onto the box. Attaching it to the eye-hook wasn't a problem but there was still the issue of how to cover the eye-hook itself without it becoming just a garish aesthetic disaster. Luckily I had some tiny Mulberry Paper Roses in a few colors in my collection. Picking out a couple of purple ones to tie everything together, I carefully wrappedthen glued them in place around the eye-hook. The entire assembly, once dry, was very secure with now worry that it would get knocked off by accident. Once everything was died, test fitted multiple times and cleaned up, I went ahead and made sure I didn't need to add anything else. With something as whimsical as this, it's easy to overdo it with decorations. Luckily enough, I knew when to stop. So off I went to see how it all would look on a wall with and without the lid in place. Of course the lighting in the room didn't do the box justice but I was more then happy with how the project as a whole looked. The lid and the internal panel compliment each other and stand strong on their own  or as a whole which was what I was aiming for in the first place. As I was wrapping up the project, I had given a friend a sneak peek of the end result. I was expecting the usual show of support and perhaps a question about something that I needed to clarify. What started off as a cheer for how the project came out quickly moved to talks of pricing and having the box on hold. So even before this blog wrap up was done being typed up, it would seem this has already found a potential home. Completely not complaining and I'm rather grateful that something I decided to experiment with has brought so much joy to someone. I think that is a suitable ending for this adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment