Random thoughts and bits of life of a coffee loving artist

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Celestial World Tree - Part 4

 Welcome back everyone for another episode of 'Why do I do this to myself'. I kid but there has been so many moments during the adventure of this project that I have found myself asking that very question. So, as a recap, in Celestial World Tree – Part 3 I was explaining the process I was doing with the lid and internal panel of the box along with what I still had to do to make the pair cohesive together if they were displayed separately. Let us jump back in, shall we?




Nearing the End

True to my word, I went back and started working on the details to both pieces. The lid took me a bit more time to make work. Going back and forth, adding suggestions of leaves to the tree so it didn't just look like a blob of color on the wood. Little white spots among both the blue and the green along with the purple string through the branches were nods towards the design that I had on the internal panel. As of the internal panel, subtle blue and green leaves in the background. I went as far as adding some veining to some of the leaves. Once done, gave both two coats of a clear glaze spray paint.



Hindsight is 20-20

So. Let's have a moment to acknowledge that there is going to be points of a project where your brain will be so excited about something that an entire step in the process is skipped. No amount of planning and telling yourself what you need to do next is going to help. The skip is going to happen. I experienced this once the lid and internal panel were done drying. There I was, sitting at my desk happily examining the results of the pieces with their new shiny surfaces. In my excitement, I took out my tube of E6000 clear multipurpose adhesive and
proceeded to glue the internal panel into position inside the box. It was only while making sure that everything was firmly in place that a realization occurred to me – I was planning on working on staining the outside and interior of the box so it didn't look unfinished during final assembly. There was no turning back at this point. The internal panel was already a tight fit and the adhesive wasn't about to let it go unless I wanted to destroy the entire box to get it out.


Now what do I do? Using wood stain would probably mess up the project. I wanted to keep the grain of the wood apparent so normal paint was also out of the options list. It was then, in my moment of cursing my eagerness, that I realized I had the answer right in front of me. Watercolors. Using a combination of shades of blue and brown, I mimicked the colors and transition of the tree that was depicted on the lid. The colors actually ended up enhancing the wood grain while bringing the whole project together. So once everything was painted and dried, I sprayed on a light coat of clear glaze over it all and let it fully dry overnight. Now all that is left to do is working on and attaching the accessories then final assembly to call this project complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment