Random thoughts and bits of life of a coffee loving artist

Saturday, October 9, 2021

Book of Shadows Box – Part 1

 It's that time again where I have been requested to bring you wonderful people along on another art creating adventure. This year has been dotted with several custom/personalized altar box projects that customers have been enjoying adding to their sacred spaces. So get yourselves comfy because this is going to be a tad different from some of my previous endeavors.


It started with a Sale


Recently Michaels, a craft store chain here in the states, was advertising some products that they had just gotten in for the season. Among the items was a wooden box which resembled a book and had a magnetic closure for the lid. My first thought was 'Book of Shadows' so I ended up nabbing 2 while they were still in stock. For those who are not familiar with what a Book of Shadows is, think of it as a personalized note book for pagan practitioners. It's usually filled with notes on anything from sun and moon phases, herbs, crystals, and animals to instructions for rituals, talismans and recipes. Each book is completely personalized and sometimes is handed down through generations. My idea for the box was to make it look like a book but it would be able to hold a small journal sized book inside or anything else the owner wished to store.


May the Concepts Begin


Rejected Box Design concept
When speaking to a very good friend of mine who has also become a bit of a collector of some of my work about what I had planned, saying that they were interested was a bit of an understatement. There was a great deal of enthusiasm to the idea and they expressed great interest in not only possibly purchasing but wished to follow along. Honestly I couldn't help but giggle at the level of child-like wonder that was being directed my way. So the sanding of the wood commenced so that the box could be properly prepped. However what in the world was I going to do with the cover? To the random doodle archives! 


Book of Shadows Cover Concept
I had some unused concepts from a previous box project that I rejected and set aside since I wasn't satisfied with the composition so I flipped through the pages to see what captured my attention. In the end I pulled this image out of a raven skull flanked on either side by moths and sporting a halo of coins. All were elements that I wanted to play with at the time but I just wasn't thrilled with how they looked together. So how was I going to work with this for the cover's concept? With much pencil twiddling and a cup of coffee later, I decided on pulling the skull and only one of the moths to use in the new design. Playing around with placement of the two then adding some flowers and prayer beads, it took me a little bit to get things situated. Of course the entire time while I was sketching, I was looking at some reference images of some beautifully covered antique books and planning on how things would work together.



Will this project be the one where I get to try out some new tools I recently ordered? Not quite sure but I can already tell that this is going to be an interesting process either way. Let's find out together, shall we? Stay tuned and have a creative day!

No comments:

Post a Comment