Random thoughts and bits of life of a coffee loving artist

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Legendary Inspiration?


Looking around for some inspiration for a possible painting that I could do for next month, I came across this lovely photo by saiyanzrepublik on deviantART titled Red Gui Fei.


I love how the everything was put together and the elegant beauty of the piece but to be honest I am not too familiar with Chinese legends so decided to look up references and a bit of information. Come to find out that the piece was in reference of Yáng Guìfēi who was considered as one of the four Beauties of ancient China and blamed for the lack of attention Emperor Xuanzong gave his empire. A little bit of a push in my opinion considering that she seems to be unfairly blamed for a man's decisions.

Decided to roam Google a bit looking at references and found it interesting that there is a Chinese TV show called The Legend of Yang Guifei which personally wouldn't really be interested in but I can't help but drool over the outfits and find myself analyzing how to even go about painting them. It does appear that a lot of the reference pictures concerning her actually is from the show but there are a few as paintings which are absolutely lovely. Hmm this really does get some ideas popping up in my head. Should I go about go about and do a painting based on this tragic legend? Feeling a bit conflicted about it at the moment which means I'm going to need to do some more research on the styles of clothes, jewelry and hairstyles.





No comments:

Post a Comment